Tuesday 1 November 2011

Portsmouth in October - not for the sun worship!


Down at the Great South Run over the weekend and it was, as always, a great place to be.
Leonard Komon, a one to watch out for next year, won the event in a very nice 46.18.  Not his preferred distance – as he holds World records for 10 and 15k but 10 miles was good for him down on Portsmouth front.

Kenyan and World marathon record holder Abel Kirui who crossed the line in 46.40 with Ireland's Alistair Cragg third in 47:14.

Komon went off like a rocket but paid the price for his this as he ‘slowed’ to almost five minute miles in he last two miles.


"I deliberately started fast as I knew it would be difficult when running against the wind in the closing stages," said Komen "The weather was too much for me and it was really tough at the end. It would have helped me if earlier in the race there had been someone to run with. I tried my hardest on my own but it wasn't enough."

Ethiopia's former World half marathon runner up Asselefech Mergia won the women's race 52 minutes 55seconds ahead of the Kenyan pair of Doris Changeywo and Irene Jerotich.

Changeywo last year's Commonwealth Games 10,000 metres silver medallist and Jerotich winner of the marathon title in New Delhi clocked 53:34 and 53:43.

"I decided that was the best point to get clear as I knew when we turned (for the last two miles) the wind would make it very difficult - which happened," said Mergia.
So watch out for those names next year and also a little girl called Charlotte Perdue who is fast making a name for herself.  Only 20 years old and did herself proud in such good company coming in fourth.
More info on the race click here:

No comments:

Post a Comment