Tuesday 6 December 2011

The Perils of Daytime TV

After a great weekend of the Durham Christmas Festival – more later – I have caught my first cold in three years!
For those who know me well, the reason why I have been so careful is obvious but I have forgotten how crappy it make you feel.  I have a nose that is sore and running  so much that I am using paper hankies quicker than a school boy in his bedroom with the ‘parental control’ switched off!
Now, where does this bring in the dreaded daytime TV? Well, I have put the telly on having woken early over the past few days.  The first thing I have to say is “ No wonder Daybreak is down to a few hundred viewers!”  the whole programme is such a hotch-potch of hard news and fluffy stuff that you cannot watch for more than 10 minutes before getting confused or just hacked off with the whole ‘hospital TV’ atmosphere it has.
Channel 4 puts on ‘everybody Loves Raymond’ on at around 7.30am.  Before that  they have some UBERCOOL trendy nobodies who have all the professionalism of some first year media studies student – and not a good one either!    
Transfixed by the cheapness of the stuff all channels are putting out, I try and go for a coffee but the ‘council sink estate on tour’ that is the Jeremy Kyle Show hits the screen.
I have a question for all the tracksuits who go on there: 
“You are NOT clever enough to beat the lie detector so don’t try!”
And if you have been cheating / using drugs/ robbing your granny/ don’t go on ‘cause you will get found out.  But here is another point....
There is a disclaimer that runs along the bottom of the screen saying: “Blah Blah.. the lie detector is 96% accurate – 96% but there has been no one- Jezza said so – that has had a genuine false reading on this.
The look on one girls face when the test said she was fibbing was as bad as if she was being accused of being a witch!  I might well write in and ask where the 4% people are.
After that I got the hoover out!

Anyway, Durham Christmas Market was probably the best yet.  Hundreds of people from across the country – all looking for the Durham City Tourist Information Centre that has been closed down – go figure! We had three brass bands on Saturday one after the other which gave the whole of the market a festive atmosphere.  The bands, from Esh colliery, the fusiliers and then the Salvation Army all did their bit.
The highlight of the day was the Lantern Parade by around 300 kids who parade behind the Salvation Army band as they marched to the Cathedral and then a story and some carols.  All happy bunnies.
That’s it from me for the while.  The next entry will have information about a couple of projects

No comments:

Post a Comment