Monday 12 March 2012

ALDAMA FINALLY LANDS WORLD INDOOR TRIPLE JUMP GOLD MEDAL IN TENSE FINAL - By David Martin


Here is a great article by a good mate of mine Dave Martin. Dave knows more about athletics than anyone I know and is certainly worth listening to.

"For me the main focus was to come out here and compete with pride. That's what I was able to do so I'm happy."

Cuban born Yamile Aldama finally a British citizen after problems with her first application nine years ago rewarded her adopted nation with a gold medal at the IAAF World Indoor Championships in Istanbul on Saturday.

 Aldama after previously winning silver and bronze medals triumphed with a nailbiting triple jump victory for the Aviva GB & NI team on a triumphant day when Tiffany Porter and Dwain Chambers finished second and third in their 60 metre hurdles and 60m finals.

 There was plenty of drama as 39-year-old Aldama became the second oldest woman ever to achieve a WIC win when after jumping a superb 14.82 metres in the second round she suffered a slight hamstring journey in the next.

 That saw the veteran sit out the rest of the competition although with her left leg heavily strapped she would probably have taken another jump if any of her rivals had bettered that distance.


 But none rose to the occasion and the Londoner scored a magnificent victory in the the Atakoy Athletics Arena ahead of Kazakhstan's Olga Rypakova and Mabel Gay of Cuba who had best efforts of 14.63m and 14.29m.

"Better late than never," said Aldama whose career has been hampered particularly in the last decade when her circumstances although married to a Briton, saw her virtually stateless and unable to compete at the 2003 World Championships and the following years Olympic Games.

"I have been in the country for 11 years," she added of her pride in being a UK citizen. "What more could you ask? I do everything I have to as a British citizen, my kids are British, 60% of my friends are British. Britain is home."

 Aldama a mother of two and looking toward the summer's Olympic Games added: "This is my first world title, 12 years after winning my silver in Seville. This gold is for my mom and my children and a great motivation for London.

 "I thought there was a little more there but unfortunately I had a little problem with my hamstring and could not carry on. I was checking round by round and at the end I won so I am very happy.

 "It's very difficult to explain the feelings. I am feeling very proud, very happy and I can't wait to get home and celebrate with my family. I hope the kids have been watching, especially the oldest who is 10. Before I came to the track he told me 'Mummy you have to win'"

Porter the team captain also produced a great display when placing second although no match for runaway winner Sally Pearson the Australian winner of last summer's World Outdoor 100m hurdles title.

Pearson flew down the track in a speedy time of 7.73 seconds, with Porter who clocked 7.94sec narrowly holding off Alina Talay of Belarus as they dashed across the finish line.

American born Porter holder of a UK passport since childhood, said: “I’m very excited, my semi-final didn’t go well as I’m sure you all saw, so I really had to refocus for the final."

“When I gave my captain’s speech I talked about how important mental focus was so I took my own advice and held my focus from the start through to the line.”

"I feel really good. I'm happy I was able to come out here and execute my race and bring home a medal. I was able to follow my own advice, the advice I gave to the British team in my speech.

 "For me the main focus was to come out here and compete with pride. That's what I was able to do so I'm happy."

Chambers although losing the sprint crown he claimed two years ago in Doha was nevertheless cockahoop after taking third place behind 2003 champion Justin Gatlin of the USA and Nesta Carter from Jamaica who clocked 6.46sec and 6.54sec.
"I'm very happy," said Chambers who just edged out world leader Trell Kimmons of the USA who was given the same time of 6.60sec.

"I always knew it was going to be tough with those guys, but to get back on the podium again is a great feeling. To get up there is great and showed the old boy still has got it in the old legs.

"I felt myself go and just felt a flash of blue and yellow (Carter) drive past me and I thought just hold on, hold on and luckily experience brought me through to a bronze.

"Even at my age, at 33, I still get as nervous as the youngsters do. But this is what I enjoy and I just hope I can continue to do it for a long time."

 Chambers proud to be part of the Aviva GB & NI side added: "We all are [one team]. We've got some old, we've got some new, we've got some experienced guys in the team and I think it's great because we all sit down at dinner and talk about our experiences and how nervous we get."

He also like every other British athlete asked, rubbished the notion being driven by a one UK newspaper in particular that Porter, Aldama and other athletes now representing their country were "plastic Brits", although many other countries including the USA and France have regularly used imported competitors who have gained major championship medals.

"I think it's unfair," he said. "They've become eligible to compete for our country and they're great role models. Tiffany's our team captain and I don't consider them as 'plastic Brits'. They are human beings, they are athletes and they are here to help represent our country."


David Martin







No comments:

Post a Comment